- This event has passed.
Winter Restoration Weekend with Van Clothier
January 8, 2016, 1:00 pm - January 10, 2016, 5:00 pmFree
Watershed Restoration at the Malpai Ranch with Van Clothier
Friday, January 8 – Sunday, January 10, 2016
Join watershed restoration expert Van Clothier of Stream Dynamics, Inc and SIA for a weekend of camping and watershed repair on the Malpai Ranch! We will be reinforcing newly repaired rock structures at Silver Creek with native plants and handwork.
- Friday, 1:00 pm: Meet SIA staff at the our NEW OFFICE LOCATION at 406 S. 4th Avenue (NW corner of 4th and 14th in Armory Park) for carpooling and caravanning. We have plenty of safe parking. If you will be meeting us at the camp/work site, we will get you detailed directions soon. We will be setting up camp on the Malpai Ranch.
- Saturday, 8:00 am: Early breakfast and a rundown of the day’s activities. We’ll then caravan in appropriate vehicles to the work site, where we will work for the day.
- Sunday, 8:00 am: Continue work through the early afternoon, then pack up and head home. We will try and be back to Tucson around 5pm.
We will be moving salvaged plants of giant sacaton grass to reinforce previously built rock structures, planting grasses grown in containers, watering plants, and completing the finishing touches to rock strucutres by hand. We will use shovels, pick axes, and buckets to complete our work. Plan for moderate to high physical activity, including bending and lifting.
WHAT TO BRING
- All tents, sleeping bags, mattresses, stoves, etc. that you might bring on any normal car camping trip. We will NOT have access to bathrooms at the camping site.
- Ample dringking water.
- Five meals plus snacks.
- Sturdy footwear (ex. hiking boots, sandals) plus clothing for wet and cold weather, binoculars, field guides, etc.
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Tools, basic camp kitchen set-up including stove, firewood for camp fire, extra water, cameras, GPS, data sheets, maps.
- A library of field guides.
- Friendly dogs are welcome to join us, just let us know ahead of time if you are bringing any four-leggers.
- This is a family – friendly trip. Please let us know ages of any minors who will be joining.