- This event has passed.
Beat Back Buffelgrass Month: Last Chance!
February 17, 2018, 9:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Join us on our last trip for Beat Back Buffelgrass Month with a day trip in Bear Canyon!
We have been working to eradicate fountain grass and buffelgrass from this beautiful area for several years now; steadily working our way up the canyon. We have been doing a great job, but the canyon is long, and we have a lot of ground to cover in our fight against these invasive grasses.
- Plan to meet us at the designated meeting spot (NE corner of Sabino Canyon Rd and Tanque Verde Rd, at the south end of the Safeway parking lot) at 9 am.
- We’ll return to the meeting spot by 4pm.
- This project is rated as moderately strenuous; we will be digging out invasive grasses. The work will include bending and walking on uneven surfaces, and potentially walking through water.
WHAT TO BRING
- CLOSED-TOE SHOES/BOOTS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS PROJECT. Pants and long-sleeved shirts are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Aside from that, anything you would bring on a long day hike would be recommended, such as plenty of water, lunch/snacks, sun protection (sunscreen, wide-brimmed hat), etc.
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Tools, work gloves, supplemental drinking water and first aid equipment. Tools involved – picks, and metal pry bars will be our main weapons against these invasive plants. Chemical herbicides will NOT be used.
- This trip will be led by SIA staff.
- Sorry, dogs are not allowed on this project.
- There is no fee involved for this project (although we will put any donations to good use!)
Questions? Contact Carianne: firstname.lastname@example.org 520-624-7080 ext. 14