- This event has passed.
Seed Collection & Invasives Removal Weekend in Parker Canyon
October 13, 2017, 2:00 pm - October 15, 2017, 5:00 pm
Help us restore native plants for wildlife and pollinators in Parker Canyon!
Sky Island Alliance is partnering with the Coronado National Forest and Borderlands Restoration to restore a diverse riparian understory of native plants for wildlife and pollinators in Parker Canyon! This weekend we will work to remove invasive species and collect seeds that will be grown out to be re-planted in the canyon.
- Friday 2:00 PM: If you would like a ride down to the lake, or if you want to caravan, we will be meeting at the SIA office (406 S 4th Ave) at 2:00 PM Friday.
- Friday 4:00 PM: If you’d like to meet us at Parker Canyon Lake, plan on joining us after 4:00 PM Friday. The location of our Campground is yet to be determined, so stay tuned…
- Saturday: We will work throughout the day with a break for lunch.
- Sunday: We will work through the morning and early afternoon (with a lunch break) and plan to be back to Tucson by 5:00 PM.
THE WORK AND WHAT TO KNOW
Our tasks will involve collecting seeds from targeted plant species and removing invasive species such as Johnson grass and tree of heaven. Volunteers do not need to have prior training to participate. Sky Island Alliance will provide all tools and instruction as well as extra copies of our volunteer waivers which need to be signed by each participant only once per calendar year.
WHAT TO BRING
- Water, snacks, and meals for the weekend.
- Sturdy footwear (ex. hiking boots) with closed toes is encouraged as are rain gear and sun protection (ex. wide-brimmed hat, sunblock, long-sleeved shirt and long pants).
- Camping gear for the weekend, such as tent, sleeping bag and pad, food and stove, water bottle, toiletries, clothes, etc.
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Necessary tools and supplies for the weekend’s work and first aid.
- Our camp kitchen set up with stoves, pots, pans, and utensils. Please feel free to bring your own as well, if you like.
Questions? Contact Carianne: firstname.lastname@example.org