Since 2018, the Border BioBlitz has been an annual community science effort to record as many species as possible along the U.S.-Mexico border. This year Sky Island Alliance is collaborating again with Next Generation Sonoran Desert Researchers and many other groups to mobilize people. This data will help document the region’s tremendous biological richness and species impacted by the border wall. Join us!
How to Get Involved
- Download the free iNaturalist app (Android / iOS). Then search for and join the “Border BioBlitz 2023” project. For a seamless experience, allow access to your location/camera while using the app.
- Between April 1-30, go within five kilometers of the U.S.-Mexico border. Plan your own trip with friends or register for a Sky Island Alliance event below.
- Submit your observations of plants, animals, and fungi through iNaturalist by clicking on the Observe icon at bottom and using your phone to snap pics. (If you’re a birder with the eBird app, using that works too. When ready to submit your checklist for the day, you can share it with the “BorderBioBlitz” account.)
- If you can’t go to the field or want to contribute more after the BioBlitz, you can help confirm species identifications submitted to the project online. For details, email the project leaders.
Sky Island Alliance Events
We’re hosting several upcoming events across southeast Arizona and northern Sonora. Learn more and register below. And visit the project website to see past results and other events in California, New Mexico, and Texas.
- March 21: Border BioBlitz: Virtual Talk (Kickoff Event)
- April 1: Border BioBlitz: San Pedro River Cleanup (Day Trip)
- April 8: Border BioBlitz: San Rafael Valley (Day Trip)
- April 12: Border BioBlitz: Parker Canyon Area (Day Trip)
- April 14-16: Border BioBlitz: Patagonia (Weekend Camping)
- April 18: Border BioBlitz: Huachuca Mountains (Day Trip)
- April 21: Border BioBlitz: San Bernardino NWR (Day Trip + Camping Option)