- This event has passed.
Walnut Planting for Gray Squirrels
December 16, 2016, 2:30 pm - December 18, 2016, 6:00 pmFree
The Santa Catalina grey squirrel (a subspecies of the Arizona grey squirrel) is in decline throughout the Catalinas and Rincons. Fire, and competition with introduced Abert’s squirrels, are thought to be some of the reasons for their lower numbers, but we are hoping to give these beautiful animals a helping hand by improving some of their habitat on the mountain. Therefore, with the help of the Forest Service and Borderlands Restoration, we are going to plant native walnut trees at several sites in the mountains to provide more of their favorite year-round food!
¡Personal bilingüe estará presente en este viaje!
- Friday 2:30 PM: Meet with SIA staff at our office for to carpool to the campsite in the Santa Catalina Mountains. Campsite TBD.
- Friday 4:30 PM: If you would like to meet SIA at the campsite, you may arrive after 4:30 PM on Friday. Follow our green SIA arrow signs to the campsite. Campsite TBD.
- Saturday 8:00 AM: Be prepared to go over the day’s work and head out to the work site. We will work throughout the day.
- Sunday 8:00 AM: Get started on the day’s work. We will finish up by early afternoon and then head back to Tucson.
- This project is rated as moderately strenuous; we will be carrying young trees and tools through uneven terrain, and digging lots of holes.
WHAT TO BRING
- CLOSED-TOE SHOES/BOOTS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS PROJECT. Aside from that, anything you would bring on a long day hike would be recommended, such as plenty of water, lunch/snacks, sun protection (sunscreen, long pants and long-sleeved shirts), etc.
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Tools, work gloves, supplemental drinking water and first aid equipment. Tools involved – shovels, picks, and metal pry bars will be our main tools for digging.
- SIA will provide our Camp kitchen set-up with stoves, pots and pans, plates and bowls, and basic utensils, etc…
- SIA can provide a limited number of tents to anyone wishing to borrow one. Please contact the trip leader to reserve a tent.
- This trip will be led by Bryon Lichtenhan.
- ¡Personal bilingüe estará presente en este viaje!
- Families are welcome!
- Sorry, dogs are not allowed on this project.
- There is no fee involved for this project (although we will put any donations to good use!)
Questions? Contact Bryon: email@example.com or 520-624-7080 ext. 27