- This event has passed.
Sutherland Wash Restoration
August 7, 2015, 7:00 am - 2:00 pm
We all need food, water and shelter to survive, right? Help improve those qualities for the native wildlife of this lush area just north of Catalina State Park in this one-day event. This is a joint project with the Genius Loci Foundation and the Arizona Native Plant Society.
- Friday, August 7th, 7:00 am – 2:00 pm: Meet SIA staff bright and early at 7:00 am at the Valero gas station at the corner of Oracle Road and Golder Ranch Road in Catalina. If individuals are interested in caravanning, they can meet SIA staff at the Historic Y at 6:15 am (http://thehistoricy.com/location/). We will beat the heat by starting early.
Our work is designed to stabilize several side drainages to Sutherland Wash. The installation of simple rock structures and brush fences in the channel will detain sediment and moisture, thereby raising the level of the water table and providing the perfect growing conditions for many, many native plants! Today’s work will be a combination of lifting, transporting and placing rocks into place (think about the size of a loaf of bread) as well as building fences from native shrubs and trees. Volunteers do not need to have prior training to participate.
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
- From the corner of Oracle Road and Golder Ranch Road where we will meet at 7:00 am, staff will lead the caravan approximately 10 minutes east towards the foothills to reach our work site.
- Carpooling is encouraged: SIA will have 1-2 spots in our vehicle for volunteers to tag along. Contact Christopher to make arrangements.
WHAT TO BRING
- Several liters of water per person plus all the food you’ll need for an entire day outside.
- Sturdy footwear (ex. hiking boots) with closed toes is encouraged as are rain gear and sun protection (ex. wide-brimmed hat, sunblock, long sleeved shirt and long pants)
- Volunteer Agreement/Waiver – Only needs to be filled out once per calendar year. Click here to download:https://skyislandalliance.org/vol_agreement_waiver.pdf
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Site background and activity instruction plus tools to include leather gloves for all, shovels, picks, rock bars, wheelbarrow, maps.
- This project will be led by Christopher Morris. Contact him with any questions at Christopher@skyislandalliance.org or 520-624-7080, ext. 24.
- Snake season is upon us! Please be careful when placing hands and feet; notify staff of any hazards as soon as possible.
- No dogs, please.