- This event has passed.
July 15, 2016, 4:00 pm - July 17, 2016, 4:00 pmFree
Come out and help us continue a very interesting project helping to restore a wildlife corridor between the Patagonia and Santa Rita Mountains. The area we will be working in was the site of a planned development, but it had also been identified as one of the most important corridors for jaguar movement between Mexican and American Sky Islands. Fortunately the site was recently purchased by Wildlife Corridors LLC with the plan of preserving the sites function as a corridor, while allowing for much more limited human habitation as well.
- Friday, 4:00 PM: Meet SIA staff at our office (406 S. 4th Ave) for a ride, or to caravan down to the site near Patagonia. We will arrive at the site by 5:30 and set up camp.
- Saturday, 6:30 AM: We hope to beat the heat by starting early, and getting our work done before the hottest time of the day.
- Sunday, 6:30 AM: We will continue our work until about midday, then pack up and head for home. We will try to be back in Tucson by 4:00 PM or earlier.
We will be installing native plants grown by Borderland Restoration to enhance habitat and strengthen the rock work completed in June. Volunteers do not need to have prior training to participate.
LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
- From Tucson head east on I-10, then south on Highway 83. At the junction in Sonoita head right(West) on Highway 82 toward Patagonia. Just past mile marker 22 turn right onto Stevens Canyon Rd and follow the green SIA arrows to our camp.
- Carpooling is encouraged: SIA will have a few spots in our vehicle for volunteers to tag along. Contact us to make arrangements.
WHAT TO BRING
- Several liters of water per person plus all the food you’ll need for a weekend away from home.
- Sturdy footwear (ex. hiking boots) with closed toes is encouraged as is sun protection (ex. wide-brimmed hat, sunblock, long sleeved shirt and long pants)
PROVIDED BY SIA
- Site background and activity instruction plus tools to include gloves for all, shovels, picks, rock bars, wheelbarrow, maps.
- Water buckets.
- This project will be led by Bryon Lichtenhan. Contact him with any questions at email@example.com or .
- Snake season is upon us! Please be careful when placing hands and feet; notify staff of any hazards as soon as possible.